Friday 4 November 2022

Long Silence, Peevish Complaint

So after such a long silence, you'd think I'd have something to say worth reading.  Nope.  You'd think if I did choose simply to whine about something, I would choose something important...global warming, provincial government overreach to slap down unions, etc.  You wouldn't think I would choose to whine about something as inconsequential as television. Wrong again.

So while I'll admit this is just a completely peevish complaint, I will say it is one that has been festering for years.  So here it is, short and sweet.  

Like most, I have become accustomed to watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it.  Streaming.  Being a stalwart Canadian, that should include a whole whack of CBC shows.

But it doesn't.  Because, in its wisdom, CBC has, from the outset, refused to make GEM available through ROKU.  You either need a smart television or Apple or nVidia.  But if you use a ROKU device to access streaming channels, you're out of luck.

This seems to me to be incomprehensible since one in three -- YES, ONE IN THREE -- households use ROKU devices to stream.  

Notably, the most economical ROKU devices cost about 20 per cent of what nVidia devices cost and about 25 per cent of what Apple devices cost.  Yet these are supported by GEM.  In other words, people who choose the least expensive option -- perhaps because they have no choice -- are being penalized.  

It seems to me that CBC is cavalierly kissing off a considerable portion of its potential audience.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home